Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Very Veggie New Year's Resolution

times squareToday the natural tendency is to look back over the past year to see what happened and what changes took place. For me, this year was mild compared to some years, but there was one big change--I became a vegetarian and in the process lost 25 lbs.

I became vegetarian mainly for health reasons. No health problems--just wanted to avoid them. Relatives all had heart diseases so I decided it was time to take a serious look at where I was health-wise. So I bought a tape measure.

I read up on how to determine if I was overweight. I took measurements and the middle section was a problem to say the least. Checking my blood tests was next. Cholesterol, blood sugar, LDL, HDL, triglycerides and homocysteine levels were looked at. Needed improvement there also. One of my daughters is a vegan and I'll admit she had a lot to do with my success because it's not an easy transition, especially when you love meat as much as I do. Everyone knows about Bill Clinton becoming vegan and also cutting out oil. Well, that is the same regimen I am on. No meat plus no oil. And lately, no dairy.

With each subtraction from my diet, I would drop down 5 pounds more. Yes I had a goal--a dream number to get to. I reached that number and then set one lower and I am now a few pounds from that. So now I know what my new resolution for next year will be. I have much more energy and feel better. When I take a walk, it is much more pleasurable because I am not out of breath anymore. My only exercise was light walking. It was all about the food I was eating.

I'll admit there is a lot of sacrificing going on since I still love meat, but it's well worth it when I see improved blood test results. Once again I look good in more stylish clothes--and people notice. I feel like those TV commercials some days. I proved to myself with determination it can be done.

A vegetarian diet isn't for everyone, of course, but If you are looking to try a vegan or vegetarian diet, these things helped me: Dr. Esselystyn's "How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease," Pritikin Online Membership, and the 3-month online program from DASH Diet. They are very reasonably priced and well worth it. For continued superb motivation, I enjoy a free website: Healthy-Happy-Life.com. Will this be your year to make your dreams come true for retirement and for health. Happy New Year 2012--and thank you for visiting.

Before beginning any new diets or health programs, it is important to consult with your physician. We do not make recommendations or give advice. The above is for your information only. Make your own decisions about diets or health programs and in consult with your doctor or other health professionals.